Ebonyi State University (EBSU) Admission guidelines for 2019/2020 Academic Session has been published. EBSU will not conduct Post-UTME aptitude test for 2019/2020 session. The Admission Exercise for the 2019/2020 Academic Session would be conducted on Central Admission Processing system (CAPS).
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has approved that 1st choice Admission Exercise would be conducted from 21st August to 16th November, 2019 while 2nd choice admission will be conducted from 17th November, 2019 to 15th February, 2020.
Credit passes in O’level Mathematics and English Language respectively shall continue to form part of the mandatory general entry requirements for the 2019/2020 admission/registration into all EBSU regular undergraduate programmes.
EBSU will not write Post UTME Examination in 2019/2020 admission exercise.
Admission/Registration of candidates into undergraduate programmes of Faculty of Law and Medicine/Anatomy respectively shall continue to be based on possession of all relevant O’level entry requirements at one sitting.
There shall be no consideration for admission/registration of all candidates (successful pre-degree graduands inclusive) into undergraduate programmes without evidence of:
- Minimum UTME (JAMB) result/score of 170 and PDS with a minimum score of 170.
- The NUC approved admission carrying capacity for EBSU remains 5117
- There shall be no recommendation/admission of candidates into undergraduate programmes on Awaiting Result basis. For avoidance of doubt, no candidate who fails to present ready qualifying statement of result or certificate as evidence of fulfilment of prescribed entry requirements for admission through UTME or Direct Entry (D/E) shall be recommended/selected, admitted or registered provisionally.
- In addition to other stipulated criteria for supplementary admission, no successful pre-degree graduate without a minimum UTME score of 170 shall be considered for admission.
- No candidate with an average score of less than each of the Faculty’s cut-off marks as in three(3) below, shall be considered for admission.
- Pre-Degree graduates or candidates who neither put EBSU as first nor second choice University shall not be considered for admission except JAMB permits of it.
- Direct Entry admission shall continue to take 10% of EBSU total quota.
- Direct Entry admission seekers whose O’level result are not screened online may not be considered for admission.
- A minimum of OND/OD Upper Credit shall continue to form basic criteria for Direct Entry admission into EBSU programmes.
The selection of candidates for admission/registration into undergraduate programmes shall continue to be by modified conference arrangement whereby Department/Faculty lists are to be mandatorily presented with each Department/Faculty Admission Committee’s minutes (with duly signed, attendance lists of members).
N/B: Any list that falls short of the foregoing shall be discountenanced and an alternative list generated by the Management administratively.
Ebonyi State University Abakaliki (EBSU) general cut-off point for the 2019/2020 admission is 170 (one hundred and seventy)score in the JAMB/UTME. However, the minimum cut-off points required for admission/registration in the various programmes are:-
A. Faculty of Medicine FMS)
1. Medicine and Surgery – 250 and above
2. Anatomy – 180 ”
3. Physiology – 180 ”
B. FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES AND TECHNOLOGY
1. Nursing Science – 230 ”
2. Medical Laboratory Science – 210 ”
C. FACULTY OF LAW (FLAW)
1. Civil Law – 230 ”
D. FACULTY OF SCIENCES
1. Biochemistry – 180 ”
2. Applied Microbiology – 180 ”
3. Applied Biology – 180 ”
4. Biotechnology – 180 ”
5. Computer Science – 190 ”
6. Geology and Exploration/Geophysics – 180 ”
7. Industrial Physics – 170 ”
8. Industrial Chemistry – 170 ”
9. Industrial Mathematic/Statistics – 170 “
E. FACULTY OF EDUCATION (FEDU)
Art and Social Science and Education Option:
1. Economics Education – 170 ”
2. Social Studies Education – 170
3. English Education – 170 ”
4. Religion Education – 170 ”
5. Igbo Education – 170 ”
Business Education Option:
1. Accountancy Education – 170 ”
2. Secretarial Studies Education – 170 “
*Science Education Option:*
1. Computer Science Education – 170 “
2. Physics Education – 170 ”
3. Chemistry Education – 170 ”
4. Biology Education – 170 ”
5. Mathematics Education – 170 ”
6. Integrated Science Education – 170 ”
Human Kinetics and Health Education Options
1. Human Kinetics Education – 170 ”
2. Health Education – 170 ”
Educational Foundation Option:
1. Administration and Planning – 170 ”
2. Guidance and Counselling – 170 ”
Technological and Vocational Education Option:
1. Electrical/Electronics Technology Education – 170 ”
2. Mechanical Technology Education – 170 ”
3. Building Technology Education – 170 ”
4. Wood work Technology Education – 170 ”
5. Agricultural Education – 170 ”
Home Economics Education Department – 170 ”
F. FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
1. Agric. Economics, Management and Extension – 180 “
2. Food Science and Technology – 180 ”
3. Crop and Landscape Management – 170 ”
4. Soil and Environmental Management – 170 ”
5. Animal Science – 170
6. Fishery and Aquaculture – 170 ”
G. FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
1. Public Administration – 180 ”
2. Business Management – 180 ”
3. Accountancy – 180 ”
4. Banking and Finance – 180 ”
5. Marketing – 170 ”
H. FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCE AND HUMANITIES
1. Economics – 180 ”
2. Political Science – 180 ”
3. Mass Communication – 180 ”
4. Psychology – 170 ”
5. Sociology and Anthropology – 170 ”
6. English Language and Literature – 170 ”
7. History and International Relations – 170 ”
8. Philosophy – 170 ”
9. Religion – 170 ”
10. Languages and Linguistics – 170 ”
11. French – 170 ”
12. Igbo Linguistics – 170 “
The first choice admission are to be guided by JAMB approved admission criteria as follows:
Procedure for Selection of Candidates for Merit Admission
- Merit: Here about 40 (forty) percent of each programme shall be selected as general merit (R/M)
- Locality/Catchment (R/L): Also in this category, 40% of the quota of each programme shall be selected and Spread among the 13 Federal recognized Local Government Areas of Ebonyi State.
- ELDS: Educationally less developed states shall be discretionally applied if constraints of the 2019/2020 NUC quota and prevailing imperative within EBSU as a State University permits. Meanwhile, be reminded that the states recognized to be educationally less developed include:
Adamawa, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Benue, Borno, Cross River, Ebonyi, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa,Niger, Plateu, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara.
JAMB approved UTME subject combinations for different courses in the brochure shall continue to be a yardstick for all admission selection.
Physically Challenged candidates with acceptable minimum UTME (JAMB) score are to be given preferential treatment.
Admission Quota Criteria By Percentage:
Subject to the prevailing situation, admission of candidates based on the 5,117 NUC approved quota for EBSU in 2019/2020 admission session, shall be guided by the following criteria:
|i. General Merit||– 40%|
|ii. Catchment/Locality||– 40%|
|iii. Direct Entry Cadidates (including JUPEB)||– 10%|
|iv. Pre-Degree||– 5%|
Admission Quota Distribution to Programmes
The 5,117 NUC approved quota allocated to EBSU for 2019/2020 session shall be distributed to Faculties and Departments as shown on the table below:
DISTRIBUTION OF ADMISSIONS QUOTA TO VARIOUS PROGRAMMES
|1||AGRIC. ECONS, MGT. &EXT.FOOD SCIENCE & TECH.CROP & LANDSCAPE MGT.SOIL & ENVIRONMENT MGT.ANIMAL SCIENCE OPTIONS:Animal ScienceFISHERY AND AQUACULTURE||1001205050 5050|
|AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL||420|
|2||FACULTY OF||1.PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION||160|
|MANAGEMENT SCIENCES (FMS)||2.BUSINESS MANAGEMENT||100|
|4 BANKING AND FINANCE||70|
|3||FACULTY OF||1. ECONOMICS||170|
|SOCIAL SCIENCES AND HUMANITIES||2. POLITICAL SCIENCE||160|
|(FSSH)||3. HIST. & INT’L RELATIONS||180|
|4. SOC. & ANTHROPOLOGY||88|
|6. MASS COMMUNICATION||200|
|7. LANG. AND LINGUISTICS||50|
|8. ENGLISH LANG. & LIT.||120|
|9. IGBO LINGUISTICS||20|
|11. RELIGIOUS STUDIES||30|
|4||FACULTY OF BASIC||MEDICINE AND SURGERYANATOMYPHYSIOLOGY||110120150|
|5||FACULTY OF LAW (FLAW)||1. CIVIL LAW||160||160|
|HEALTH SCIENCES &TECHNOLOGY (FHST)||MEDICAL LABORATORY SC.NURSING SCIENCE||9960||159|
|7||FACULTY OF||1. APPLIED BIOLOGY||80|
|SCIENCES (FS)||2. APP. MICROBIOLOGY||200|
|5. GEOLOGY & EXPL.||80|
|6. COMPUTER SCIENCE||250|
|7. IND. CHEMISTRY||100|
|8. INDUSTRIAL PHYSICS||50|
|9. IND. MATHEMATICS||50|
|8||1. ARTS AND SOCIAL||110501003030 4040 10030 401101004025 4540 405040403030|
|FACULTY OF EDUCATION (FEDU)||SCIENCE EDUCATIONOptions:ECONOPMICS EDU.SOCIAL STUDIES EDU.|
|c. ENGLISH EDUCATION|
|d. RELIGION EDU.|
|e. IGBO EDUCATION|
|a. ACCOUNTANCY EDU.|
|b. SECRETARIAL EDU.|
|Options:a. ADMIN. & PLANNING||1160|
|b. GUIDANCE & COUNSELING|
|4. SCIENCE EDUCATION|
|a. CHEMISTRY EDU.|
|b. COM PUTER EDU.|
|c. BIOLOGY EDUCATION|
|d. MATHEMATICS EDU.|
|e. INTEGRATED SC EDU.|
|5. HUMAN KINETICS AND|
|a. HUMAN KINETICS EDU|
|b. HEALTH EDUCATION|
|6. TECHNOLOGY AND|
|a .ELECT/ELECT. TECH. EDU|
|b. MECH. TECH. EDU.|
|c. BUILDING TECH. EDU.|
|d. WOODWORK TECH. EDU.|
|e. AGRIC. EDUCATION|
|f. HOME ECONS.EDU.|
EBSU First choice candidates who fail to get admission through merit shall be given a chance in supplementary admission provided they possess the basic entry requirements in the different areas they applied.
Note: There will be no Supplementary Admission in the following areas:
- Medicine and Surgery
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Nursing Science
Admission Through Pre-Degree (PDS)
Admission through Pre-Degree School (PDS) shall continue to be given adequate preference in such a manner that 5% of approved quota will be given to Pre-Degree School in supplementary admission.
Direct Entry Admission
The possession of basic O/Level entry requirements in their respective areas of discipline shall continue to be used as condition for Direct entry admission for 2019/2020 session. This is without prejudice to Direct Entry candidates in Law where single O/Level sitting entry shall be waved for those with good qualifying Direct Entry result certificates.
Note that suitable EBSU JUPEB result shall be considered for Direct Entry admission just like others from Polytechnics and Monotechnics. However, this is not applicable to Diploma from other university.
- Council approved admission ratio of 80: 20 between Ebonyi catchment LGAs versus candidates from other Local Government Areas/States respectively shall continue to apply as much as practicable.
- The admission ratio of 60: 40 in favour of Sciences and Arts based courses shall also continue to apply
There shall be no concessional admission in 2019/2020 admission.
Admission of Staff Biological Children/On Staff Interest
There shall be provision for consideration of admission of staff biological children. Members of staff are advised to formally indicate such requests through collection/filling of the appropriate forms from Admissions Office. Completed forms should be signed by staff Head of Department and submitted to Admissions Office. Concerned members of staff are to be reminded that only forms for genuine biological children will be processed.
Screening of Candidates
Candidates shall be intensively screened to ensure that all the documents presented for admission including O/Level, PDS result slip, Declaration of Nationality, UTME result are genuine. All admitted candidates as approved by JAMB in their Forum with Higher Institutions must present:
a. Original Result Slip and JAMB Admission Letter before registration.
Review and Update of 2019 UTME Brochure
According to JAMB, the review of UTME brochure is now automated and electronic – online through IBASS (Integrated Brochure and Syllabus System). Each Institution is to use its secured access credentials and views its present requirement, make online request for amendment, deletion or addition on the IBASS platform on or before 15th October, 2019.
National Matriculation List
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and the Regulatory Agencies have resumed their joint monitoring exercise of Matriculation and Admissions. All successful candidates whose admissions are processed appropriately through the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) would be listed and the list made available publicly to all stakeholders.
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), National Universities Commission (NUC), National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) and National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE) must be informed and invited not later than two(2) weeks before Matriculation Ceremony. The invitation letter must be accompanied with the soft copy of the matriculation list. Late invitation to Matriculation Ceremony will not be entertained.
Closure of 2019/2020 Admission Exercise
The deadline for 2019/2020 admission exercise as approved by JAMB is 15th February, 2020. All involved in admission process should strive to keep to the approved schedules to ensure that the University concludes admissions within the stipulated period to avoid any possible sanction by JAMB.
The foregoing is hereby presented for consideration of the Admissions Committee.
Mrs. Bibian N. Nwokwu